Wednesday 12 August 2009

A bit of this and that

Hi everyone, it's Gill,

I hope you have all had a lovely week. Last week and this believe it or not I haven't been to a garden centre - that has to be a record for me! I know that if I go, I will be tempted to buy plants that simply won't fit in the garden, there is no space left. There is so much to do in the garden at the moment, mainly weeding, the dreaded weeding is always there. However many you pull out, they still appear to be there the next day. I have stinging nettles and blackberry to pull up, at least with all the damp we have had it shouldn't be too hard (thats if I get round to it) hehe!!

If you haven't done it already, you should be planting up your strawberry runners ready for next years crop. We have a water barrel with holes drilled in the sides with some of our strawberries growing in, and a few in a small beds in front of the greenhouse.

My first cucumber is about 10 inches now, maybe it will be eaten by the time I do the next blog. I was given a few tomato plants by a friend that she had grown, they are large plum shaped ones. There are loads of fruit but so far when they have swollen the bottom of the fruit has rotted, does anyone know why please? My runnerbeans seem to be really plentiful this year. I have experimented with the common one with orange flowers and a white flowered one to see if there is any difference with yields. If there is I will let you know.

My buddleias continue to be the centre of attraction for the areas butterflies, I could watch them all day! These lovely shrubs are supposed to attract bees too but I haven't seen one on them yet, very very scary. If you dont like buddleias, I think you should try and put one in a corner because they do bring in all sorts of insects. I know they have a straggly persuasion, but they can be trimmed virtually to any shape you like. Also if you want to cover up an ugly bare corner, mine have grown about 10 feet in three years.

In today's Daily Mail they were saying that we should all be putting a sugar solution out to attract bees, 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, then place between the flowers. I will do this tomorrow and maybe you could all have a go too.

Don't forget to ask your neighbours to water for you should you go on holiday or for a weekend away, it's surprising how quickly they dry out, especially the greenhouse.
Still not getting many eggs from the girls, they had better sharpen up or they will end up on my table. I wonder if it is anything to do with the weather, the lack of eggs I mean. Maybe one or two of you might keep chickens and could give me the answer. We have 10 chickens and 2 cockerels and are getting 3 or 4 eggs a day, we were getting that through the winter. One day about 6 or 8 weeks ago we had 8, I nearly dropped them when I counted them!!!!

Okay all that's it for now, do take care and of course happy gardening. Bye for now, Gill

blog comments powered by Disqus