Thursday 6 August 2009

butterflies this year

Hi all its Gill,

Aren't you just sick and tired of this weather? Day after day of miserable damp and its warm which is awful!!!! The only bright news in all this is that I have more butterflies than I have had before since moving here over 3 years ago. On television last week they were saying that there is a shortage of peacock and red admiral butterflies this year. THEY ARE ALL IN MY GARDEN. What a wonderful sight, I have loved butterflies ever since learning about them in junior school. This year I have four buddleias and a huge hydrangea in flower in the front garden and they are smothered with these adorable creatures. Piccies to follow.

Last year we all heard of the plight of bees, scary but I saw about the same amount as usual and didnt think much more of it. This year however I have noticed that there are very few about. Its a very worrying situation.

My girls are laying less this summer and I am wondering if they are fair weather layers lol. From the 10 chickens I seem to average about 4 a day, lazy beasties!!!! I think they are spoilt too much and dont realise that they are here to lay eggs for me. In fact I am just about to collect the eggs, lets see how many there are.

That's it they are for the pot, 3 measly eggs.

Whilst I was outside I looked at the lavender, I have about 10 shrubs, and there were 2 bees on them, that used to be buzzing. That reminds me of the time I went round to my friend Lornas in Winnersh, Reading. She has a huge lavender hedge all the way from the road to her front door, probably about 70 foot, and ~I am not lying about this, she stands and strokes the backs of the bumble bees as they forage in the flowers. But then she is a special person. I have also seen her stand in her back garden, put her hand out and a robin flew to her and sat in her hand. He also used to tap on the lounge window, she would open the window and crumble up a digestive for him. One day whilst watching this, a little field mouse climbed up her cotoneaster and sat with the robin eating it together. I wish I had whatever she has.

To tell you the truth I havent dont any gardening this week, maybe a bit of dead heading but thats all. My runner beans are covered in flowers, and I have quite a few plum tomatoes in the greenhouse, but they arent anywhere near ready. I have a few cucumbers in there too, about 5 inches is my largest so they have a way to go yet.

That's it for now all, got to water the greenhouse. Take care and enjoy your gardens, Gill

blog comments powered by Disqus